We all love Waakye and some might even choose it over jollof any day. You don’t have to always travel to Auntie Muni’s joint everytime to buy it. This post will help you prepare waakye in no time.
Find below the steps on how to prepare waakye with fish.
READ ALSO :How To Prepare Vegetable Fried Rice
- Ideally all unwanted particles in the beans must be removed, washed and soaked overnight to reduce the cooking time.
- Boil beans in a large saucepan with enough water.
- Remove all tilapia scales, fins. Cut tilapia into desirable sizes and wash thorougly.
- Season the tilapia with salt, maggi and black pepper to add flavour and leave for 5-10 minutes before frying.
- Wash millet stalks quickly and add to the boiling beans.
- Carefully examine the brown rice if is free from husks and stones.
- Wash the brown rice, drain all water and remove the millet stalks before adding the rice to the beans when its soft.
- Add water to the mixture depending on how soft you want it and cover to cook.
- Add salt and stir.
- Blend tomatoes and pepper and strain using a colander.
- Blend garlic and ginger.
- Put oil in saucepan and add chopped onions and stir.
- Add blended garlic and ginger, when the edges of the onion turns golden brown.
- After 2-3 minutes, add blended tomatoes, pepper and wele.
- Cook and allow to cook until the sauce thickens and the oil settles on top.
- Add salt and maggi, allow to simmer for 2-3 minutes.
- Put oil in frying pan. When the oil is very hot, add tilapia.
- Turn tilapia with spatula until all parts of the tilapia is fried.
- When it is evenly cooked, remove from the oil and drain on paper towels.
- Serve waakye with stew and tilapia
Go on and enjoy your special waakye with fish.
Visit our shop for the ingredients to prepare waakye